Patna Women's College is a prestigious college in Patna which has an unparallel standard, name and fame not only in Patna or Bihar or India but in other continents as well. Several foreign students come to study here each year.
The college completed its 60th anniversary on Sept. 14, 2000. The Diamond Jubilee was celebrated on that date and the function was inaugurated by the Chancellor of the University and was presided by the Vice Chancellor of the Patna University.
According to the Principal, this college had to face lots of ups and downs at the time of its establishment in 1940 by Bishop B. J. Sulivan who put his undaunted efforts for that. At that time, there was no college for women in the State. In the beginning, the college was given the permission by the Senate of Patna University to teach up to the Intermediate level in Arts.
Within three years, because of outstanding results, the college became recognized for higher studies. It became a unit of the Patna University in 1952. Till 1988, the college had to wait for starting the studies of Science up to the standard of graduation due to shortage of space. Putting up a college for women was a tough task for Sulivan in those days when people generally opposed education of the girls and women in the society.