Fish in Hot Sauce
For 4 Person(s)
- 4 (8-oz. each) whole fish, such as mackerel or trout, cleaned
- 4 lime slices
- 4 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 1/2
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 6 tablespoon(s) water
- 2 limes, sliced, to garnish
Fish in Hot Sauce Directions
- Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels.
- Slash two or three times on each side with a sharp knife and tuck a lime slice inside each fish. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small saucepan.
- Add onions and cook stirring, 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add gingerroot, garlic and mustard seeds; cook 1 minute more. Stir in cayenne, tamarind paste, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat grill. Place fish on grill rack, brush with remaining oil and cook about 5 minutes on each side, until fish just begins to flake basting occasionally with oil.
- Garnish with lime slices.
- Serve hot with the sauce.