Brinjal/Baigan (Eggplant) Chutney
Another fine side-dish to go with any meal.
For 4 Person(s)
- 3 Whole large tender brinjals (eggplant, baigan)
- 1 teaspoon(s) chana daal (for seasoning)
- 1 1/2 pods garlic
- 3 Whole green chilies, or according to taste
- 1 inch tamarind
- 2 Whole red chilies (for seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon(s) urad daal
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) mustard seeds (for seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds (jeera) (for seasoning)
- 3 tablespoon(s) curry leaves
- 1/2 pods garlic, crushed
Brinjal/Baigan (Eggplant) Chutney Directions
- First heat the tawa (heavy griddle). Add 3 tsp of oil. Then add brinjals (cut into round pieces). Add some salt and turmeric. Place a lid on it.
- Add diced tomato to it. Cook until soft. It should almost look like paste. Keep it aside.
- Put some more oil on the tawa, slit green chilies in the center and fry them till good aroma starts coming out.
- In food processor put garlic pods, jeera, fried green chilies, tamarind and grind for a minute. Then add the fried brinjal and tomato mixture to it. Grind it roughly. it should not become very soft.
- Add little more oil to the tawa, and then add red chilies, urad dal, chana dal, mustard seeds, jeera, curry leaves and heat till mustard seeds splatter, then add chopped 1/2 pod garlic. Add this immediately to the chutney and place lid to save the aroma.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.