Bari-Kadhi - Popular in Bihar and UP
Popular Bihari dish. Goes great with roti or rice.
Bari-Kadhi - Popular in Bihar and UP Directions
- Take 1½ cup of besan, add salt, powdered masala (half of turmeric powder), sodium bicarbonate and half cup water.
- Make a smooth batter, with a whisk, such as pakora thickness. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a karahi; drop a teaspoon of this batter in the hot oil. Let it set and then drop some more spoon full one by one. Fry by keeping the heat on high and low until the 'baris' are golden. Similarly fry the whole batter.
- Drain and keep aside. The baris for the kadhi are ready.
- For the Kadhi, beat the yoghurt with a whisk until smooth. Keep aside.
- Put 2 cups water to the remaining 1/2 cup besan and make a watery solution of it. Now add the yogurt and whisk again so that it mixes smoothly with the besan solution.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the karaahi. Add the ingredients for tadka. When jeera begins to splutter, add besan solution to it and keep stirring so that besan does not stick to the base.
- Put the remaining turmeric powder and salt. Keep stirring till the solution begins to boil. Then lower the heat. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put off the flame. The karhi is now ready. Add the fried bari to this karhi, stir through so that bari gets soaked in the karhi.
- Serve after 10 minutes with steaming rice.