A popular south Indian dish.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and roast the moong dal until a lightly roasted aroma is released. Don’t let it turn brown.
- Wash rice and mix with the roasted dal.
- In a pot add 4 & 1/2 cups (3 times the quantity of rice and dal) of water and salt to taste.
- Boil then simmer till the water is absorbed and rice and dal are slightly over cooked. Shut the heat off.
- Place a small pan on medium heat; add ghee and roast the peppercorns for a few seconds. Add cumin seeds, ginger, curry leaves, pepper powder, asafetida, turmeric powder and sauté for a few more seconds. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Now heat ½ teaspoon of ghee in a small pan and roast the cashew nuts until golden and crisp.
- Add the roasted spices and the cashew nuts to the rice-dal mixture. Add the remaining ghee and mix till the spices have blended well into the rice.