Paneer Stuffed Karela
A variation of the usual Bharwan Karela.
For 6 Person(s)
- 6 medium karelas (washed & cooked in steam), make a small cut in the middle lengthwise and take out the inside pulp. Mix this with crumbled paneer for stuffing.
- 1/2 cup(s) paneer (cheese)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon(s) ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) green chili, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garam masala
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped cilantro
- 1 cup(s) cooking oil for deep-fyring
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt, or as desired
Paneer Stuffed Karela Directions
- Crumble the paneer and add to karela pulp.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan, add cumin seeds. When it is cooked, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, and green chili and fry until onion is transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for just a minute.
- Add the dry spices in the tomatoes (salt, chili powder, turmeric, and garam masala)
- Add the crumbled paneer and karela pulp mixture.
- Mix and fry until cooked. Add cilantro and mix. Taste for salt.
- Take off heat and let cool.
- When the mixture is cool, stuff it inside the karela in a gentle, tight manner. Either close the cut part with a toothpick or tie with thread.
- Now heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. Add the stuffed karelas and cook. Keep turning so that all the sides get brown.
- Before serving, grill in a toaster oven for 10 min so the outside of karela is crunchy.
- Note: You can omit step 9 and 10 and deep-fry the stuffed karelas.