Achari Bhindi & Onion (Bhindi Kalonji)
Indian achar made with bhindi (okra)
Achari Bhindi & Onion (Bhindi Kalonji) Directions
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Fry bhindi until almost cooked and golden brown on med heat, remove and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil and 1 tbsp mustard oil in a non-stick wok. Add the whole achari spices and fry till brown.
- Stir in the thinly sliced onions and cook until they turn golden brown, about 5 to 7 min.
- Add ginger and garlic and fry for another 2 min.
- Add ground achari spices, ground coriander, chili, turmeric and tomatoes.
- Cook stirring, for a further 15 minutes on med heat.
- Mix in the fenugreek leaves and mango powder. Cover the pan and cook on a low heat for 7 min.
- Now add fried bhindi and thickly sliced onion. Cook for 7 min on med heat, until onions are softened.
- Add salt according to taste and stir in the lemon juice mix and stir fry on low heat for 5 or more min, till the masalas are almost dry.
- Add cilantro, mix and take off the heat. Serve hot.