Spicy. Veggie lovers craving for meat would appreciate it.
Aloo Dum Directions
- Grind coconut, poppy seed, cardamom, ginger, and green chilies to a paste.
- Boil the potatoes. Peel, cut in 1 1/2" cube. Fry the potatoes in hot oil till they turn slightly brown.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry the onions to light brown.
- At this point if you want you can add the 4 optional whole spices and let cook for one minute.
- Add paste to the onions. Fry till the oil separates.
- Add chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Stir for 5 mins.
- Add yogurt and mix, salt and fried potatoes.
- Add enough water to cover the potatoes and simmer until the gravy is thick for about 10 minutes.
- Now add garam masala powder and mix gently.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves.